In 2022, we launched our campaign for anti-bullying in St Thomas. During anti-bullying week, children explored what 'bullying' means and the different forms that exist within our world. They identified ways it can happen and ways that we can stop it within the world.
To develop our own school anti-bullying policy, we appointed anti-bullying ambassadors across the school who would form a support group to spearhead initiatives, displays, curriculum links and lead assemblies within school to tackle bullying.
To help develop our ambassadors and whole school approached we joined the UAB (United against bullying programme.)
What do we do?
In past anti-bullying weeks, our ambassadors have helped organise events and deliver assemblies to the school on the subject of bullying. They ran a friendship stop in the playground, where children joined in by making friendship bangles and played games. The ambassadors also organised a fundraiser for children in need to promote kindness to others.
What is the United Against Bullying Programme?
The United Against Bullying programme is the Anti-Bullying Alliance’s free whole-school anti-bullying programme. It supports schools to reduce bullying and improve the wellbeing of all children, focusing on those most at risk, including children and young people with SEND, children and young people who experience racist and faith-targeted bullying, sexual bullying, homophobic, biophobia and transphobia bullying, looked-after children, young carers and those on free school meals.
The overall aim of the programme is to establish United Against Bullying Schools. These are schools that have evidenced their work to reduce bullying and improve the wellbeing of all pupils.
Participating schools receive:
- Access to the online United Against Bullying Hub, including;
- A 360° audit and action planning tool
- An online pupil questionnaire to ascertain levels of bullying and wellbeing in your school
- Specialist tailored resources to support you to implement your action plan, including case studies
- CPD online and face to face training and invitations to other special events
- An interactive anti-bullying Parent Information Tool to provide to parents
What are the benefits?
- Tailored support to reduce bullying and improve the wellbeing of pupils, especially for those most at risk
- Evidence our anti-bullying practice as a school, including to Governors.
- Specialist resources to improve and focus our anti-bullying work
- Improve staff confidence and knowledge
- Receive a United Against Bullying School award logo, certificate, social media assets, and ABA membership discount.